Of all the choices that affect our health, diet and food selection may be the most critical. With the right nutrient-dense food choices, we can elevate our wellness and vitality to a level we might not be able to achieve otherwise. And with unhealthy food choices, over time we can face serious run-ins with the laws of cause and effect.
Since winter is right around the corner, it makes sense to care for immunity – and overall health – with super foods and nutritional knock-outs for colds and flu. Here is list of ten excellent foods for helping to support the immune system and maintain overall wellness throughout the year.
- Pumpkin seeds: These seeds contain approximately 10 mg of zinc per 100 grams of seeds. Zinc is a trace mineral that provides critical support to immune cells.*
- Sweet potatoes: Approximately ½ cup of sweet potatoes can provide up to 40% of the RDA for vitamin A, in the form of beta carotene. Vitamin A is an important immune supporting nutrient, and helps protect mucus membranes and maintain immune response in these sensitive tissues.*
- Beneficial mushrooms, including Shiitake, Maitake and Reishi: Beneficial mushrooms are high in beta glucans, vitamin D and other health-promoting compounds to help support immune cells, promote healthy digestion and support numerous other areas of health.*
- Broccoli: Cruciferous vegetables, including broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and Brussels sprouts, are potent sources of powerful immune supporting compounds such as vitamin C, beta-carotene, the trace minerals, zinc and selenium, and others to bolster immunity and support overall health.*
- Green tea: ECGC (Epigallocatechin gallate) and L-Theanine are two powerful compounds found in green tea that support immunity and protect long term health. L-Theanine in particular supports the immune system’s fight against foreign invaders, while ECGC protect cells against damage and offers numerous additional health benefits.*
- Yogurt, kiefer and kim chee: These cultured foods are high in probiotics (beneficial bacteria) which maintain immunity in the gastro-intestinal tract, and support digestive and overall health.
- Chia seeds: These tiny seeds are nutritional powerhouses, high in antioxidants, nutrients and protein. They also contain a healthy balance of Omega 3s and Omega 6s, and support healthy glucose metabolism. They offer a significant boost to vital energy, and because of their extremely high nutritional content, they support numerous aspects of immunity and overall health.
- Garlic: Used beneficially for millennia, garlic is rich in powerful beneficial components, including allacin, a sulfur containing compound that helps fight foreign invaders. Garlic offers potent antimicrobial and immune support, and benefits cardiovascular health as well.*
- Chicken soup: Studies show that chicken soup, even store-bought, can reduce symptoms of cold and flu and support the function of immune cells.
- Burdock root: This hearty root is high in a compound called inulin which helps to promote strong immunity, balance blood sugar and support organs and tissues.
Mycophyto® Complex and Ten Mushroom Formula® immune support supplements are excellent examples of EcoNugenics integrative formulation strategy. By combining the best of modern science with time honored ancient wisdom, we’ve developed these two targeted mushroom formulas with additional beta glucans, to support immunity and overall health safely and naturally.*
- Mycophyto® Complex contains a blend of six powerful organic mushrooms, which are grown on a blend of immune-supporting botanicals, to bolster their already potent immune properties.*
- Ten Mushroom Formula® is an organic blend of ten beneficial mushrooms, to support daily wellness and overall health and vitality.*
In addition, EcoNugenics PectaSol-C®, derived from citrus peels, is shown to provide support for the immune system and safely remove heavy metals from the body. It is also the only natural agent capable of blocking the effects of elevated circulating galectin-3 levels, thereby protecting cellular and overall health.*