As summer winds down, our to-do lists pile up. It can seem like the peace and spaciousness we felt during the summer starts to slip away as we enter a new mode of productivity.
There’s great news though: we can nourish our inner calm and sense of wellbeing — and even enhance it – amidst the flurry of activity and planning.
How? With healthy relaxation methods that nourish our bodies and spirits to support long-term wellness. In fact, these calming and rejuvenating practices can offer some of the best immune and overall health support, not just during cold and flu season, but all year round.
Let’s face it: years of research demonstrate the powerful connections between stress and overall wellness, particularly in the areas of immune, digestive, cellular, hormonal and cardiovascular health.
Natural Solutions for Calm and Clarity
These time-honored relaxation practices have been well researched and shown to help relieve mental, physical and emotional stress while supporting overall vitality.
To alleviate tension and anxiety, try the following breathing exercise at least once a day:
- Find a comfortable position with your spine straight, sitting or standing.
- Inhale through your nose for a slow count of 3.
- Exhale through your nose for a slow count of 6.
- Breathe deeply, stretching your abdomen and filling the base of your lungs first.
- Repeat for 5-15 minutes.
Most effective when practiced regularly, just 10 minutes a day of meditation a day can offer significant and noticeable benefits.
- Find a quiet place to sit comfortably and place a small object (such as a rock) in front of you.
- Visualize each inhalation and exhalation going to and from the object.
- As thoughts arise, acknowledge and then release them, letting them slip away with each outward breath. Gently bring your attention back to your breathing and your object.
Spend Time in Nature
Recent studies show there is a direct connection between nature and reduced stress. More green = less stress.
- Keep plants in your work space and home.
- If you have time to spare, spend it outside. In moments of anxiety, take a walk through nature or down a tree-lined street.
- If you can’t get to a natural setting every day, try listening to recordings of nature sounds like waterfalls, birds, and ocean waves. Research suggests this can lower stress significantly as well.
Physical activity produces more endorphins and encourages deeper breathing, which naturally triggers the body’s relaxation response.
- Experts recommend 150 minutes per week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity (such as brisk walking). Recent studies show the length of each workout isn’t important, so long as weekly exercise adds up.
- Combine exercise with meditation: while you exercise, focus on breathing and movement. When your mind wanders, bring it back to your breath and body.
- Click here for the best workouts to reduce stress
Eat Foods that Help You Relax
A healthy diet will help you feel great, inside and out! These nutrient-dense foods support relaxation and stress relief:
- Foods high omega 3 fatty acids, such as wild salmon, flax and chia seeds.
- Dark leafy greens, such as kale, spinach, Swiss chard and mustard greens.
- Foods rich in tryptophan, such as turkey, hummus, lentils and kelp.
- Bananas contain tryptophan, potassium and magnesium, all of which are natural relaxants.
- Cherries contain melatonin, which can help you get more restful, reparative sleep.
Introducing ecoSleep™: ecoNugenics new Relaxation and Sleep Support Supplement
Traditional Asian health systems have long used specific herbs and botanicals to relieve anxiety, soothe tension, promote relaxation and support regenerative sleep. Deep, restorative sleep and balanced circadian rhythms are critical for our overall health, mental clarity, and long term vitality. We can see the effects directly on our faces, even after just a few days of poor sleep quality.
To support deeper, more rejuvenating sleep, ecoNugenics is proud to introduce the newest addition to our exceptional product line: ecoSleep™, an unparalleled relaxation and sleep formula to help soothe tension, promote healthy relaxation, and support deep, regenerative sleep cycles.*
ecoSleep™ contains a physician-formulated blend of lemon balm and passionflower extracts, HonoPure® honokiol, amino acids and a small amount of melatonin help to promote relaxation and reduce tension, gently easing you into deeper sleep.*
But there’s more. Beyond just promoting relaxation, ecoSleep™ helps support your body’s natural processes of regeneration during deep sleep cycles. Traditional Asian botanicals like Paeonia lactiflora root, Abizia julibrissin bark and other time honored herbs offer support for the liver, lungs, cardiovascular system, brain and other organs and systems, to support your body’s natural regenerative processes during sleep.*
Unlike other sleep aids, ecoSleep™ is not habit forming and doesn’t cause next-day drowsiness.*
In fact, because ecoSleep™ allows you to relax and sleep deeply, it helps provide a feeling of freshness and renewal upon waking.
Occasional stress and anxiety are a normal part of life. Remember to take the extra time to breathe deeply, nourish your body and spirit, allow yourself the space to relax, sleep deeply and renew.*
*These statements have not been evaluated by the food and drug administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.