- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 smalls shallots, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or fresh)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken stock (or you could use mushroom or vegetable stock)
- kosher salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or half and half (used a combo of each)
- 3 tablespoons Golden Sherry (optional, but makes this taste fantastic) or dry white wine
- creme fraiche (for garnish)
- To make crispy shallots, cook in a thin layer of olive oil until golden (not too high of a heat, or they can easily burn). Set aside, on a paper towel.
- For the soup:
- In a Dutch Oven, heat a little bit of olive oil and butter– just enough for a thin coating. Cook the mushrooms for about 3-5 minutes, until golden. Set aside.
- Using the same pot, add a little more olive oil and saute the sliced shallots until tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Season with a little kosher salt, pepper and dried thyme.
- Add the flour, stir and cook for about one minute.
- Continue reading the directions here.