Recipe: Immune-Building Herbal Tonic Soup
From Mother Earth Living
Makes 6 servings
Savory vegetable soup is a traditional way of incorporating astragalus, garlic and medicinal mushrooms into your diet.
- 1 ounce dried astragalus root slices
- 1⁄2-inch piece fresh gingerroot, slivered
- 1⁄4 cup brown basmati rice
- 8 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup winter squash, chopped
- 1 cup shiitake or maitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons light miso, or to taste
- 8 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- Simmer astragalus, ginger, rice and stock in a heavy covered pot for 1 hour.
Read the rest of the directions here.