Recipe: Smooth Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
From Foodista.com – The Cooking Encyclopedia Everyone Can Edit
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored, and chopped, such as Granny Smith
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked red or yellow lentils
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons amber agave syrup
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- Heat a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Melt the butter in the pan and proceed to add the chopped sweet potatoes, carrots, apple, garlic, ginger and onion. Cook stirring often until vegetables begin to soften and the onion appears translucent, about 7 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add vegetable broth, water, red lentils, cumin, chili powder, and paprika. Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, covered, until lentils and vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Alternatively, you can puree the soup in a blender. Working in batches, pour cooled soup into a blender. Do not fill more than halfway or else you will be wearing the soup instead of eating it. Return the pureed soup to the pot , stir in agave syrup. Serve hot with fresh chopped cilantro.