We associate summer with fun: warm weather, vacations, barbecues, pool parties — but there are also risks, like increased exposure to toxins. During the hot summer months, we often face more air pollution, pollen, pesticides and fertilizers in our immediate environments. Exposure to toxins, combined with summer heat, can make us feel exhausted, bloated and inflamed.
The good news is there are a variety of whole foods that have been found to help the body eliminate some pretty ghastly toxins, while supporting overall health and vitality in the process.
Here are some top recommendations:
- Apples contain lots of fiber and nutrients. They are particularly rich in flavonoids, such as quercetin and phlorizin, which support liver function. Apples also contain pectin, which supports digestion.
- Watermelon is a hydrating and nourishing food that promotes detoxification. It contains the nutrient citrulline, which has been found to help liver and kidneys remove ammonia. The high water content can also help flush toxins.
- Red raspberries are high in fiber to promote digestive regularity. They’re also packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidant compounds to protect cells from damage caused by toxins.
- High in fiber, beets are also rich in vitamins and key minerals, such as calcium, magnesium and zinc. They’re also good for both liver and gallbladder. Beets help the body produce glutathione, our most powerful antioxidant detoxifier.
- Flax seeds are primarily known for being high in fiber, but they’re also rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are excellent at reducing inflammation, boosting circulation and supporting the detox process.
- Turmeric has been an important component in Ayurvedic medicine for centuries, and is often used for liver health and to support digestion and cleansing.
The Latest on Broccoli Sprouts
A recent study conducted by researchers in China — home to some of the most polluted cities — found that consuming broccoli sprouts helped the body detoxify a number of airborne pollutants, particularly benzene. A half cup a day enhanced excretion of benzene, acrolein and other toxins. Broccoli sprouts are packed with up to 50 times more nutrition than regular broccoli, and are easy to prepare at home. Click here for tips on making your own.
Another excellent way to support total body detoxification and promote long-term health is with targeted, research-based detox supplements.
ecoNugenics ecoDetox™ blends traditional Asian herbs and nutrients with amino acids and antioxidants, to provide support for our most critical detox systems including the liver, kidneys and circulation. This unique formula promotes comprehensive detoxification, boosts vital energy and supports antioxidant activity during the detox process.
For heavy metal elimination and protection, ecoDetox™ can be combined with PectaClear®, a modified citrus pectin/alginate formula that helps eliminate toxic metals from the circulation and digestive tract, without affecting essential minerals.*
With the abundance of fresh produce available, and lots of opportunities for physical activity, the summer season is an excellent time of year to emphasize healthy living.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.